2016 Apr 10
Cooking with Aunty D.
Who knew working with semolina could be this much fun! A yummy treat for any occasion be it Avurudu, or those once in a while moments where you feel like impressing you husband with your ‘Sri Lankan’ cooking skills. There’s just a few more days left for Avurudu, let’s get rulang toffee making!
Prep time: 1 hour
Makes: 45-50 pieces
- Semolina 500g
- Coconut 1
- Honey 1 cup
- Salt 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 cup
- Vanilla essence 2tbsp
- Banana essence 1 drop
- Butter 1tsp
- Add semolina and butter into a saucepan and stir until it becomes light gold in colour.
- Into another saucepan heating up on a low flame, add grated coconut, treacle and sugar to make the “pani pol”.
- Add salt and vanilla essence to the pani pol mixture (it’s optional that you add a drop of vanilla essence if preferred).
- When the pani pol mixture starts to get thicker, add the semolina and mix well (if you prefer, you can add some diced cashew nuts into the mixture).
- Line a pan with oil paper and pour the mixture into it.
- Evenly smoothen out the cake like mixture.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Aunty D. is a full time mom working a little magic in the kitchen whenever she’s got time on her hands. She brings to you easy and fast recipes with a twist of Sri Lankan spices and cooking techniques. Get Cooking!