2019 Apr 11
Complete your Avurudu spread with something different, delicious, and filling. Here’s how to make mung kavum!
• Green gram (mung) 250g
• Raw rice flour 500g
• Egg 1
• Thick coconut milk 2 ½ cups
• Turmeric powder ½ tsp
• Salt 1/8 tsp
• Coconut treacle 1 ¼ cups
• Water ½ cup
• Sugar 2 tsp
1. Roast green gram and grind it. Run this through a sieve
2. Heat coconut treacle, water, sugar, and salt
3. Once this reaches the right thick consistency, take it off the flame and add the green gram.
4. Mix well and mould this into a nice ball. Keep this until you make the batter.
5. To make the batter, mix white rice, flour, turmeric powder, salt, and egg with coconut milk and make a thick paste
6. Dust some green gram powder onto a board and roll the green gram mixture using a rolling pin. Cut this into strips
7. Dip the strips into the batter and fry until golden brown.
Aunty D. is a full-time mom working a little magic in the kitchen whenever she’s got time on her hands. She brings to you easy and fast recipes with a twist of Sri Lankan spices and cooking techniques. Get Cooking!