2020 Apr 16
Yellow rice is without a doubt, a Lankan favourite and is absolutely heavenly combined with chicken curry, a cucumber salad and some ala thel dala. It makes up for a wholesome Sunday brunch/lunch with your family and loved ones. Without further ado, here’s your guide to a delicious Yellow Rice treat!
Rice (Samba or Basmathi) – 2 cups
Margarine – 1 tbsp
Onion – 1 (small)
Garlic – 4 cloves
Cumin – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
Cloves and Cardamom – 3 each
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Thick Maggi coconut milk – 1 cup
(2 tbsp Maggi coconut milk powder mixed in 1 cup of water)
Water – 2 ½ cups
- Wash and keep the rice aside.
- Keep the cooking pot on the cooker, add margarine, finely cut onion, finely cut garlic, cumin, salt, turmeric powder, cloves, cardamom and the cinnamon stick. Keep until the onion is lightly golden brown.
- Add the washed rice, mix well and keep it for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the thick Maggi coconut milk and water, adjust the flame and cook.
- You can garnish it with fried onion and curry leaves.
Aunty D. is a full time mom working a little magic in the kitchen whenever she’s got time on her hands. She brings to you easy and fast recipes with a twist of Sri Lankan spices and cooking techniques. Get Cooking!