2019 Sep 6
“Arogya parama labha.” –Lord Buddha–
Health and wellness are some of the most important aspects of our lives and rightly so as we need our bodies to be in good shape to benefit from the plethora of experiences life has to offer.
Dilush Goonetilleke is a Clinical Nutritionist and Certified Yoga Instructor based in New York who’s taking a new and exciting approach to health and wellness.
A little bit about Dilush
Despite her international success, Dilush is Sri Lankan by birth and moved to the US for her higher studies in the State University of New York. Her desire to help people along with her passion for yoga led her up this path. She has an 800-Hour Certification in Jivamukti Yoga and is also Board Certified by The American Association of Drugless Practitioners.
We are what we eat
As a clinical nutritionist Dilush’s main job is to treat people through what they eat. She treats a wide variety of conditions from more common food-related conditions like cholesterol and blood sugar to conditions like Autism which can be affected quite a lot through diet.
As a Yoga Instructor with a passion for this ancient practise she tries to incorporate a little bit of mind and body alignment into her practice as well.
Dilush’s guide to a healthier existence
As someone passionate about living a healthy life Dilush has come up with a few steps that anyone can follow to be a better version of themselves and she was happy to share this information with us.
- Get enough sleep – It’s common knowledge that we need seven to eight hours of sleep a day and according to Dilush this is THE most import thing that you can do for a healthier life. Apart from the duration of your sleep, the time you sleep is also very important as you have to be in deep sleep between ten in the evening to two in the morning to get the full benefits of it. If you’re only doing one thing from this list this should be it.
- Drinking water – The usual eight glasses a day might not be the best guideline for everyone. According to Dilush, you need to drink at least half your body weight (measured in pounds) in ounces throughout the day.
- Bowel Movements – Regular bowel movements is vital to flush our body of toxins and doing this at least once a day preferably in the morning is very important.
- Get on your feet – Humans are supposed to be active animals and it’s vital that you walk for at least one hour each day if you want to stay healthy. This should not be too intensive on your body as you don’t want to induce any stress hormones. A nice walk at a relaxed pace can do wonders.
- An attitude of gratitude – A healthy life is a combination of both mind and body and having an attitude of gratitude can do wonders to improve our mental wellbeing. Dilush urges everyone to maintain a gratitude journal that we use to write a few things that we are thankful for each morning.
How can we benefit from her services?
Lucky for us Dilush extends her practice to Sri Lanka as she visits her homeland every six months and if someone is interested in her services you can contact her through her website at www.ankora.us. She does consult through WhatsApp too.