2020 Nov 20
Tarot card reading is the practice of using tarot cards to gain insight into the past, present or future. My method of doing readings is to first formulate a question, and then attempt to answer the question by drawing and interpreting tarot cards. The practice is based on the Law of Attraction, which is explained in Rhonda Byrne’s book ‘The Secret’. It can be an innovative alternative to counselling.
No doubt counselling has proved to be an effective therapy when a person is going through a difficult phase of life. Psychological counselling is a wonderful lifeline of therapy. Unfortunately, however, people sometimes still feel judged about going to therapy. This stigma seems to be decreasing due to an increase in public awareness, but I think we still have a long way to go.
I use tarot card readings as a means to overcome this stigma. As in the case of counselling, there is someone available to talk to about how to adjust after suffering a loss, how to overcome addiction, or how to deal with the general hardships of life. But without the associated stigma.
Tarot is more acceptable, for some people, when compared to a psychologist or medical professional. I offer an innovative method for my clients to open up and confide. There is no embarrassment, guilt or intimidation. Difficult issues can be presented in a non-judgmental symbolic way. The problem is thus externalised, free from personal censorship, defence mechanisms and value judgment.
Counselling using tarot cards helps to clarify and deepen messages from the cards, thereby overcoming resistance. I use the cards to facilitate inner awareness, enabling the subconscious to come to the surface, and the expression of memories, feelings, and sensations.
As a tarot card reader, I am both a ‘mirror’ and a ‘container’. As the mirror, I am an empathetic enabler – not a problem solver or rescuer. This mirroring may enable further dialogue in the session or deeper reflection outside it. As the container, I offer my clients a safe place to express feelings and to enable bringing the consultation to a positive conclusion. More often than not, my clients feel empowered after the session!
- The client and I meditate for 3 minutes to centre ourselves into the present moment.
- I pick the cards based on the energy given to the cards by my client.
- Then, based on the cards picked, I explain the prediction made for the client.
- Finally, I clarify the client’s questions at hand and have a completely open conversation on the subject.
Confidentiality is key to both the client and me. My job is to open the client’s mind to the various possibilities of life regarding the situation discussed. I also guide him or her to the best possible outcome with sincerity being my top priority.
Tarot and counselling therapy is suitable for anyone who has questions and problems that may need attention. It provides a counsellor to confide in, and to speak openly with; it is always best when the counsellor and client are strangers to each other.
• Clarity in life: The client gains a new perspective on life and develops better understanding and knowledge.
• Focus on improvement areas: Everybody has some personality traits that prevent them from achieving perfection in life. No matter how successful one is, there is always room for improvement. Tarot card reading is an ideal way of picking the areas where improvement is needed and working on them to seek perfection.
• Peace: Tarot card reading is perfect for those who keep pondering over negatives and struggles, rather than enjoying the positive aspects of life. It helps the client to find inner peace by overcoming feelings of anxiousness, fear, and worry.
• Decision making: Tarot card reading is useful for those who are struggling with a particular decision because it helps to decide the perfect path. It does not predict the future outcome but brings new insights into the decision-making process and helps in arriving at a better-informed decision.
• Improvement in life: Tarot card reading is an excellent opportunity to start a fresh new life or to transform life as it is. It helps diagnose those aspects of the client’s personality that need nurturing and therefore helps him or her become a better person.
• Nurturing relationships: Tarot card reading helps do away with negative energy and fills a person with positive energy that would induce him to make enlightened choices. It can help create and nurture harmonious relationships with others.
Counselling using tarot cards is a relatively new concept. The practice is gaining momentum because there is less stigma attached to it than to visiting a psychologist – with results that could be as effective.
My cards are light-based and have no negative connotations. They only reflect the physical, career and relationships (action-oriented), mental (speech-oriented), emotional (feelings-oriented) and spiritual (the spark of life). I make predictions only for the present moment and give advice on how to move forward in the best way possible according to the needs of my individual clients. As you would observe from the benefits, a tarot card reading can be done even for persons who do not have a specific problem, but just want insights into their life situation.
Tarot services can be provided for individuals as well as for teams of businesses, families, friends, and intimate partners. I have done readings for people of all ages, including children and senior citizens. I even do a tarot reading for myself once a month to gain insight into my own life.
Written by Elizabeth Motha